Here is a quick and easy way for you to prepare Indian yellow dal tadka or lentils at home in just a few steps.
Dal Tadka is one of the most popular recipe served in India. It’s a very common household dish. This is a lentil preparation and one or variety of different lentils can be used to make this. I am not an expert cook but I have my little ways of making some of my favorite dishes that I have grown up eating For my dal tadka recipe, I use split pigeon pea lentils or also known as arhar or toor daal.
- 1 cup Arhar/Toor Dal ( split pigeon pea)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 cup Onion Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 1 tsp Green Chilli Chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Hing (asfoetida)
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Chopped
- Wash the dal
- Dry roast it for 4-5 minutes
- Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder to it, salt to taste and cover it in a pressure cooker till 2-3 whistles. For every 1 cup of dal, use double the water.
- Pressure cook until dal is cooked.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release.
- Heat a mix of vegetable oil/ghee in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic, 1-2 dry red chillies, green chillies onion and fry until slightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and cook for another minutes
- Add the cooked dal to this mixture. Alternatively, you can also add this mixture to the dal in the pressure cooker.
- Adjust the amount of water and salt and bring the dal to a boil.
- Simmer the heat. Let the dal cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- For tempering, heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add 2-3 dry red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and heeng ( also called asafetida (sometimes spelled asafoetida) – optional)
- Let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the dal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander. Add another spoon of ghee to the dal if you want.
- Serve hot.
Watch the full video of me cooking a full indian dinner here during lockdown. I also made this very dal tadka in the video.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe of Indian yellow dal tadka. If you have any questions, leave it in the comments below, To see how I cook my special Indian chicken recipe, visit my previous blog article.