Shift dresses are nothing short but iconic.Hubert de Givenchy is known to have designed the shift dress. He designed the black shift dress Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany’s in 1961.The dress and the film went down in the history of great fashion. His famous clients include Jacqueline Kennedy and Princess Grace of Monaco, both great fashion icons and fans of the shift dress.
Part of the shift dress popularity in the 1960s also goes to a Miami juice bar owner named Lilly Pulitzer. She started to make her own shift dresses in brightly coloured and patterned fabrics to hide juice stains.Many customers inquired about the dress and Lilly started selling them. By 1961 Lilly had closed her juice bar to sell shift dresses full time.
Though Jackie O is probably the most famous wearer of shift dresses, Audrey Hepburn, Twiggy and Mia Farrow were also frequently seen in this style.
What is the shift dress : A shift dress is a short dress that hangs from the shoulders. It is suitable for all body types and sizes.It is free flow dress and not body fitting.It is called the shift dress as it is easy to shift or move around in it.It also signifies a shift in culture.The dress became popular in 1960’s when the American youth culture was gaining peak. The dress represented youth,freedom and revolution.
How to wear the shift dress – Shift dresses have come a long way since Audrey Hepburn first wore it.Now you have different varieties and textures of the shift dress.Innovate your shift dress to give it a different look
- Play with textures and colours : Try leather,sequined or crochet dresses rather than the plain cotton ones to give it a glamourous look.Go for neon colour blocks or even floral prints to stand out
- Experiment : The one reason women love shift dresses is that it is extremely versatile.You can wear the same white or black shift dress to both work and party.It really depends on how you accessorize it.
- Accessorize : You can pair a formal blazer with the shift dress to make it apt for work or even wear it with a nice scarf.If you wish to wear a shift dress to a party, pair it up with shimmery heels and fancy statement necklaces.
- Choose the right material : According to your built, choose the material.If you have a slight tummy avoid silk or satin as they hug your figure revealing your bulge.Cotton or chiffon mostly goes with all shapes and sizes.For slim people, opt for an A-line or panel shift dress.
- Try colour blocks : Colour blocks tend to give you a taller look.So if you are short , try them.Plus they look formal hence they are perfect for office wear.
Experiment with Texture :
Experiment with cuts and designs :
Experiment with necklines:
Experiment with Prints and Patterns :
Experiment with Colour blocks :
Experiment with Accessories:
Celebrities in Shift Dresses :
Source : Zalora SG - Most images are from Zalora Singapore, Asia's leading online fashion destination which brings you a huge collection of brands to choose from, the very best and latest.Please visit their website Zalora if you wish to purchase any of the above dresses or more.Enjoy free delivery above 40 SGD.
If you have a question or feedback for us, feel free to email us on email@example.com or pm us on our Facebook page Twitter: thecrispycorner Instagram: thecrispycorner Pinterest/Google + :thecrispycorner